Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I have recieved a notice to appear for a deposition in regards

I have recieved a notice to appear for a deposition in regards XXXXX XXXXX debt collection issue. It is credit card debt. The notice from an attorneys office also says to bring all documents on the back of the notice. Bank statements,financial statements titles, bill of goods etc. If I don't show it says i may be held in contempt of court. It is not signed by a judge. It is not an original copy. Is the a legal document or just another method of intimidation to collect this debt?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
This is a legal document. Failure to comply with this could result in indirect civil contempt charges brought against you, which means you could serve jail time for failure to comply with a court order. You should call the court clerk to confirm that it is a legal document if you have doubts. Otherwise, you should seek out an attorney if you want counsel for this matter. Otherwise, show up at the hearing with the required documents to comply with the order. Once you file bankruptcy, all further collection action must stop.