Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Hi, again. I was pleased with Mr. Joseph Ross answer a little

Customer Question

Hi, again. I was pleased with Mr. Joseph Ross' answer a little while ago regarding my questions. I now have one additional question. By the way, I took your (his) advise and have contacted an attorney in Columbus, GA., near my home for a consultation on 02/19. By the way, I figured up what I owe all together and its worse than I thought: $35,000. My question now is this: I wish to keep (and pay on) a couple of my existing credit cards that I do not owe anything on. May I do that and still file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy? By the way, I wish to be billed for this question using a DIFFERENT credit card: Master Card #XXXXX Expiration 4/30/10. Thank you. -David M. Gibson
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
All debts with balances must be listed in a bankruptcy case.
if you do not owe anything on the date of filing, then they do not need to be listed.
You need to contact the lenders after you file to see if they will let you still have credit on those accounts. Many times, these companies subscribe to a bankruptcy reporting service, and will cancel the accounts, even with $0 balances. It will be up to the lender to extend you credit again. Some will, some won't, it will be up to them. If you have had a good track record with them, then that will help your chances. Not to worry though, you should receive numerous solicitations for new credit cards shortly after the case is filed. Watch the terms, and pay them off every month and you'll be fine.