JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

I live in Pennsylvania and have a question about filing for

Customer Question

I live in Pennsylvania and have a question about filing for bankruptcy. I have credit card debt ($10,000), a personal loan(25,000), and enormous amount of student loans ($180,000+). I became disabled and was unable to finish school because of the disability. The credit cards and loans are only in my name, but I need to know if my claiming bankruptcy will affect my wife in any way. Can they go after her for the loans? I don’t have my name on any property and I was not earning an income while I was in school and I am not earning an income now. I have no idea how I could ever pay back my student loans since I will be unable to complete school and work in the profession I was being trained in. Thank you
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Hello.

Normally discharging credit cards and personal loans in bankruptcy is not a problem, as I'm sure you have already determined.

Student loans are another matter. They normally require to debtor to file a special lawsuit during the pendency of their bankruptcy case, called an Adversary Proceeding, to discharge them. The standard for discharge is that repayment of the student loans would cause an undue hardship on the debtor or debtor's dependents. Normally, this is a much tougher standard to meet than one would guess. However, due to your disability, you may be able to prevail.

Regarding your wife's liability on the student loans, it depends on if she is a co-signer. If she co-signed for them, then even if you file bankruptcy and discharge them, the lenders can most likely still go after her. However, if she did not co-sign, then it is unlikely that the lenders can pursue her. Pennsylvania is a not a community property state, and she is not likely liable on the loans with you simply because she is your wife; if she did not co-sign, then she should not be responsible for the loans if you file bankruptcy. Same goes for credit cards and personal loans: if she didn't co-sign, the creditors cannot likely come after her.

You should of course run these issues by your attorney when you file bankruptcy so he or she can confirm whether your wife co-signed, and thus can let you know what to expect regarding her potential liability.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.