socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I have about 55,000.00 in credit card debt and 2000.00 in medical

I have about 55,000.00 in credit card debt and 2000.00 in medical expense debt. Up until today, I was making the payments regularly. I was fired from my job today. I am a 51-year-old licensed practical nurse, and worry I may have difficulty finding another position soon due to my age and poor job availability in my area. Should I consider bankruptcy before the late fees and interest start piling up?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

It doesn't matter whether late fees and interest pile up, if you're contemplating bankruptcy, because it will all be discharged by the bankrupcy court.

The reason for declaring bankruptcy sooner, rather than later, is simply to get your debts behind you, and start the 10-year clock during which the bankruptcy will remain on your credit report.

Bankruptcy lawyers generally give free consultations, so you have nothing to lose by getting an appointment.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So you believe that under these circumstance bankruptcy is a feasible alternative, given that I'm inevitably going to fall behind on the payments? Please forgive me if I sound a bit lost here. I'm pretty healthy and thought my position at work was relatively secure...always figured I'd be able to pay this money back even if it took until I retired. I never thought I would have to think about this.