Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

Will filing bankruptcy get my car back once its been repossesed

Will filing bankruptcy get my car back once it's been repossesed if I need it to commute to work?
Great question.
If you consider filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, it will do nothing to get the vehicle back for you as this is just a debt liquidation. The debt will be discharged, the lender will auction off the vehicle to recoup some costs, and the rest is discharged. You can just go get another vehicle.
A chapter 13 can get the vehicle back, as the debt is paid thru the chapter 13 consolidation. Usually, all repo and storage fees are added onto the claim. There is limited time to get a vehicle back though, normally just 14 days from the date of the repossession. Once the case is filed, your attorney will send the notice and proof of full coverage insurance (with the lender as loss payee) to the lender who will then make arrangements for you to pick up the vehicle. They will not bring it back to you!