VanDLaw
VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13
10801190

i am being contacted by a frim stating that they will arrest

Customer Question

i am being contacted by a frim stating that they will arrest me because the online loan i received was not included in my chapter 13. they are threatening internet, and mail fruad. is this true
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Do you have the name of the firm who contacted you?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, but i have a phone number. they just say they are the warrant division - will not give me a business name
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.
Can you give me the phone number please?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.

I guess its not letting me see it...it blocks personal information. OK......I was going to check them out but since I can't.....I'll have to go on what I know about Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Bankruptcy Code.

First, there is no such thing as debtor prison in this country. We do not put people in jail for not paying their debts. Further the only way a person can be arrested is by the State, another person does not "arrest" someone, they can file a police report and the police arrest if their is probable cause. There is no way in the world you are going to be arrested given the facts above.

Also, most creditors are quite pleased when they are left out of a Chapter 13 because it then means they can collect on the debt. They are not part of the payment plan and can pursue judgments etc.

DO NOT give anyone your credit card or debit card number. This "firm" is acting completely illegally. If they are not giving you any information, they are either scammers or an illegal debt collection service. I would have no further contact with this firm, if you do speak with them again let them know you are reporting them. I am sure you will not hear from them again.

If you can get an address or name of the firm, write to them and let them know they are violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and that you are reporting them. Ask that they not contact you by phone, and ask for verification of the debt, in writing including the original application.

You are not going to be arrested. They should be however. You can also google the phone number and see what comes up for them.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCHq
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome.....