socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Have S corp and business is not making any money since bought.

Customer Question

Have S corp and business is not making any money since bought. Business loan is guaranteed with our house. Do not want to lose house Both have jobs. Have too much debt which is more than value of house. This is in MA. Can I keep house but continue to make affordable payments towards the bank and other creditors. Do I get relief from creditors in reducing loan payments etc???Do they reduce what I owe them in respect to principal payment or reduction of interest rate???
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Your ability to save your home is more limited in bankruptcy than it would be by negotiating a repayment with the lender, or by refinancing.

Assuming that you cannot refinance, then a Chapter 13 bankruptcy would allow you to catch up your mortgage payments in from 3-5 years, assuming that you are behind in your payments. Otherwise, bankruptcy will do nothing to help you with your payments, except as it would permit you to limit your unsecured creditor payments (i.e., revolving credit).

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.