socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

The following is cited from 15 USC Section 1681(c)

The following is cited from 15 USC Section 1681(c)                     & nbsp;                                                        -"STATUTE-

(a) Information excluded from consumer reports

Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no

consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing

any of the following items of information:

(1) Cases under title 11 or under the Bankruptcy Act that, from

the date of entry of the order for relief or the date of

adjudication, as the case may be, antedate the report by more than

10 years." My question has 2 parts. What is the minimum time it has to remain on a credit report? What is the maximum time it can remain on a credit?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

There is no "minimum" time. Credit reporting agencies uniformly report the bankruptcy from the moment they receive a report of the filing with the bankruptcy court, until the end of the 10 year statutory period.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So as I under stand it legally they cannot continue to report it after 10 years, but there is nothing legally requiring them to keep it on the report for the full 10 years

Well, the CRAs (credit reporting agencies) do have a legal obligation to maintain accurate information. So, I suppose it could be argued that the failure to maintain the existence of the bankruptcy would be a violation of the law. Or it could be argued that the agencies only have the obligation to accurately report the information that they actually place on the report. The issue has never been litigated, to my knowledge. Regardless, that's not exactly the same as a "minimum" time requirement, however -- which is how you phrased the original question.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I understand they have a legal obligation to accurate reporting. but in plain english if the following quote:("Cases under title 11 or under the Bankruptcy Act that, from
the date of entry of the order for relief or the date of adjudication, as the case may be, antedate the report by more than 10 years.") only addresses the the fact that they can not continue to report it for more than 10 years. There is nothing legally binding them to keep it there for the full10yrs. Correct?

Like I said, a court could reasonably interpreet the Fair Credit Reporting Act to require that the credit reporting agency accurately state the status of the case. I don't have that portion of the Act handy, but I'm fairly sure that there is express language requiring accuracy in credit reporting.

So, I cannot say definitively that you are correct, or incorrect. It's an unlitigated question mark.