Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I was thinking about loaning a friend a substantial amount

I was thinking about loaning a friend a substantial amount of money. About 30K with a term of 5 years and monthly payments to start a month after the loan. I was thinking of charging 5% interest. (I researched the current loan market, the lowest right now is 5.16% on home equity loans.) I am currently getting 2.5% in CD's. I want to know if it is advisable and if there could be a clause in the contract to guarantee that if they ever had to file bankrupcy I would still get paid? They have equity in their home which is worth over $200K but he is self employed and can't get a loan with today's banking squeeze.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Clauses that state that a debt is not dischargable in bankruptcy are not given any legal effect in a bankruptcy. Such clauses are void.

To protect your loan you could consider securing the loan against the house. You would then have a secured loan and, in the event of nonpayment, could foreclose against the house.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE