socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have been selling a car and getting monthly payments. I just

I have been selling a car and getting monthly payments. I just got a bankruptcy notice stating this person is going bankrupt and has included my car. Do I have the right to go and pick it up?

If your contract includes the right to repossess the vehicle, and you registered your lien with the DMV, then you can repossess the vehicle, but not until the bankruptcy court has lifted the automatic stay against you concerning the vehicle.

If you are simply an unsecured creditor, then you have no rights to the vehicl at all, and your option is simply to stand in line with all of the debtor's other unsecured creditors.

If the vehicle was expensive, you may want to contact a local bankruptcy lawyer to provide you with info concerning the cost of trying to recover the vehicle or its value.

Alternatively, if you are a secured creditor, and this is a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, then you can simply wait until the debtor receives the discharge judgment and then you can commence repossession.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.