Attorney T. Lodge
Attorney T. Lodge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ Years Experience Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Attorney
14913335

I have been in Chapter 13 bankruptcy since 2004 and $100 a

I have been in Chapter 13 bankruptcy since 2004 and $100 a mo has been taken out of my check.I have paid all of the amount that was owed on the bankruptcy,but because thier was a change in my plan the trustee tells me the $100 will continue to be taken from my check for the next 6 months ad later refunded to me.HELP!!.I need the money so baldly now.I had discharged my bankruptcy attorney because he had not helped me when I lost my home through foreclosure,not accessible to me at all and I did not think I would need an attorney any longer since my bankruptcy was almost complete.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Attorney T. Lodge replied 5 years ago.
I would need to take a look at the online records of your case to understand what the trustee is asking you to do. Typically, Chapter 13 plans are reviewed once per year and adjusted up or down. If you were in since 2004, you would be coming to the end of a 60 month plan in 2009.

Are you saying that you were supposed to be paying a higher amount 6 months ago, but that they neglected to increase the payment accordingly? And now the trustee wants the funds?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
INTIALLY, WHEN I FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY 10-2004 , $200 WAS TAKEN OUT OF MY CHECK A MONTH.I WAS UNALBE TO EVEN HAVE ENOUGH MONEY LEFT TO BUY GROCERIES AFTER THIS AMOUNT WAS TAKEN OUT OF MY CHECK AND I REQUESTED MY PLAN BE MODIFIED TO ONLY HAVE THE $100 BE DEDUCTED AND 3 MONTHS LATER OR SO THEY FINALLY STARTED TAKING ONLY THE $100 FROM MY PAY CHECK.IN 10-04 I RECIEVED A REPORT FROM MY TRUSTEE THAT $252 WAS THE AMOUNT THAT WAS LEFT TO BE PAID ON MY BANKRUPTCY,SO I ASSUMED THAT IT WOULD END IN 1-09,BUT THE AUDITOR AT THE TRUSTEE OFFICE TOLD ME THAT THE PLAN WAS FOR 7 MORE MONTHS AND THEY WOULD CONTINUE TO DEDUCT THE $100 FROM MY PAY CHECK AND NOT DISMISS MY CASE.SHE TOLD ME I NEEDED AN ATTORNEY TO FILE A MODIFICATION IN MY PLAN OR TO FILE MYSELF AND GAVE ME A WEB SITE TO FIND THE FORM,BUT WHEN I CHECKED THE WEB SITE SHE GAVE ME I COULD NOT FIND THE FORM FOR A CHANGE IN MY PLAN.I NEED SO MUCH FOR THIS TO BE DISMISSED AND START A NEW CREDIT HISTORY AND CERTAINLY DO NOT HAVE THE FUNDS TO HIRE ANOTHER ATTORNEY.
Normally, when a plan is accepted it states the total amount of the payments. It sounds like the trustee's auditor believes that your plan needs to continue for an additional 7 months to generate enough $$$ to satisfy the terms of the plan.

Without seeing the documents, it is a little hard to discern the exact history of what happened from year to year on your plan.

I believe that procedurally you would have to either file an amended plan which basically states that the amount already paid by you is the total amount of the plan. Alternatively, I believe you could apply for a type of hardship discharge which basically requests your bankruptcy discharge now regardless of the fact that you have not (in the eyes of the trustee) completed your payment schedule.

As always, it is best that you retain local bankruptcy counsel in Georgia who can best advise you on what to do.

Good Luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HOW CAN I APPLY FOR THE HARDSHIP MYSELF WITHOUT USING AN ATTORNEY????
I believe the applicable bankruptcy code section is § 11 U.S.C. 1328(b) for the hardship discharge. You would need to write and file an appropriate motion to file with your local bankruptcy court.

Again, you may want to speak with the Clerk of the bankruptcy court for further procedural advice. They may or may not be able to help you.

Also, I always recommend seeking the advice of local counsel if at all possible.

Good Luck.
Attorney T. Lodge, Attorney
Experience: 10+ Years Experience Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Attorney