Andrea Ray
Andrea Ray, Attorney
Experience:  Over 5 years experience in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law, Chapters 7 13 and 11
12714316

I have a chpt 7 bankruptcy discharged just over 1 yr ago here

I have a chpt 7 bankruptcy discharged just over 1 yr ago here in arizona. I purchased a vehicle a few months prior to filing and reaffirmed it in the bk. I have heard that I can walk away from this vehicle at any time without reprisal due to the fact it was purchased before the chpt 7. Is that true and will it just be included in the bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Andrea Ray replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry, but because you reaffirmed the debt (meaning you signed a reaffirmation agreement and it was filed with the bankruptcy court), it is like you didn't file for bankruptcy on that debt at all. If you walked away they would sell the car, probably for much less than wat you owe on it, and could pursue you for the remaining balance.