Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

what is the time frame for a bkpt that was filed in 2000, prior

Customer Question

what is the time frame for a bkpt that was filed in 2000, prior to the new bkpt act of 2005
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.
Are you asking the time frame to file a second bankruptcy or until it drops off youir credit?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No I filed a bankruptcy in 2000 and it was charged off in May of 2001 I want to confirm the time frame it would stay on your credit report. It should have been seven years. The new bankruptcy act was extened to ten years in Oct of 2005. I just want to confirm this info and find the laws to support this so this bkpt is removed from my credit report.

Thank You

deb

Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am unaware of the period ever being 7 years. As far back as 1990, a credit reporting agency could show a bankruptcy for up to 10 years. Then, like today, many credit reporting agencies would remove it after seven. However, it is not required to be removed until 10 years have passed.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No this is not helpful I need to have a reference to the law itself I already know it is seven years. I need to see the law itself can you refer me to the actual law or where I can find it.
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.
It is NOT seven years. The period is TEN years. Therefor there is no statute available to indicate 7 years..