Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

My husband got a letter from a lawyer regarding an unpaid credit

Customer Question

My husband got a letter from a lawyer regarding an unpaid credit card bill that he had no idea of from a divorce he had down in Tennessee. We live in Wisconsin. He called the atty office to see if he could work out a payment and they are refusing to do anything. Somehow they got all of his work information and are going to garnish his check. All of the information that the company had was from his job and life down in Tennessee. When my husband asked how did they get all of the information the lady refused to tell him. Do we have any options to go by? They apparently are going to garnish one check for the full amount. We are a little behind on our mortage because of the times and a health issue with our infant son and if they garnish this whole amount we might lose our house. Can he do anything to help this situation?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

You can consider filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy to discharge the credit card debt.

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13.

There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) your unsecured debt. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy could reinstate a mortgage that is in default. However, it may require that you repay some of your unsecured debt.

Legal Aid can assist you. I suggest that you give them a try.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE