socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

about chapter 13 bankruptcy

my monthly income is $2,730.00 per month. my home mortage is $836.00 per month.all living expense is $1,144.00 per month. I have $750.00 to put toward my unsecured credit card debt which is $72,000.00. I have 15,000.00 worth of equity in my home. QUESTION can my credit card creditors liquidate my home for the $15,000.00 if I take chapter 13 bankruptcy. I have $750.00 to pay toward my creditors each month for 3 to 5 yeras and 3 years will equal to $27,000.00 and 5 years will equal to $45,000.00
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Your creditors must get more from the Ch. 13 plan, than they would receive were you to liquidate under Ch. 7. Your numbers suggest that you may really only have $300-400 in net disposable income. So, you're on the wire at $400 for the 3-year committment period and okay for the 5 year. The median income is determined by your state's median income (see

You are almost certainly below the median, which means that it is unlikely that your Ch. 13 would be confirmed, and that means Ch. 7. If your state doesn't provide for a homestead exemption, then you would lose your home.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.