socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Can a credit card company take your home because of an unpaid balance in Virginia

I was thinking of filing bankruptcy in Virginia. I wanted to keep my house and not pay my credit cards and not pay the second note. My mortgage is current. Can you lose your home if you dont pay the second note and credit cards?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If your home is worth more than your 1st and 2nd mortgages by $5,000, then the court can order the home sold to satisfy your creditors. You cannot avoid the secured mortgages by filing for bankruptcy. However, if you allow your home loans to be foreclosed, then you will incure deficiency judgments which could be discharged in bankruptcy, but only if the deficiency arises prior to the filing of the bankruptcy petition.

In short, yes you can lose your home in bankruptcy based on your posted facts.

You may want to consider contacting a local bankruptcy attorney for a free consultation to completely evaluate your use of bankruptcy protection.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.