socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Contract/BAnkruptcy

I am a professional boxer signed to an exclusive promotional agreement with a promoter in New York. I am having a number of issues with my promoter and I am looking at a number of avenues to escape my promotional agreement. I understand that it is possbile to shed my contract via chapter 7. I've been considering bankuprcy already for financial reasons but I would like to know if it is possible to shed my promotional contract via bankruptcy before deciding how I should proceed next.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

This is not as cut and dried as you might immediately believe.

Bankruptcy can discharge your obligations under the promotional agreement. However, a personal services agreement, such as you describe is "executory" under the bankruptcy code, meaning that it hasn't been completely performed by the parties. Because the agreement may have value to your creditors, as a whole, the bankruptcy trustee has discretion to either reject or confirm the contract.

So, it's possible that if there is something in the contract of immediate value (like a fight in the next 90 days, or some public appearance that you would have to have made), then the trustee might attempt to negotiate a confirmation of that portion of the contract, and then reject the remainder.

But, if this is a case of a promoter signing you up and then just sitting on you like you were inventory, then the contract will be discharged and you will be off the hook.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.