TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

If a person files Chapter 13 bankruptcy while married, and

If a person files Chapter 13 bankruptcy while married, and part of the money owed was toward a mortgage...If the couple divorces and one spouse keeps the home is the party that has no rights to home still responsible for paying toward the home? Or is there a way to only be responsible for the credit card and other debts?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “If a person files Chapter 13 bankruptcy while married, and part of the money owed was toward a mortgage...If the couple divorces and one spouse keeps the home is the party that has no rights to home still responsible for paying toward the home? Or is there a way to only be responsible for the credit card and other debts?”

Answer: The general rule is that a divorce judge can split up the debt in whatever way he finds equitable, and therefore, the judge may order that the spouse with the house must continue to pay, and the spouse without the house must take some other debts. In such cases, however, the lender would still have the right to go after either spouse, and the spouse without the house would then need to go after his ex for failing to adhere to the divorce decree.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.