TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law

I have lost my job for the 2nd time in 3 months 1st job 12

I have lost my job for the 2nd time in 3 months 1st job 12 years and the lastest was 7 weeks due to down sizing. I can make my home on unempolment but not my rv payment and credit cards. What can I expect from the rv and credit cards companies and would should I do? I have filed bankrupcty 11 years ago and do not want to do it again.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “What can I expect from the rv and credit cards companies and would should I do? I have filed bankrupcty 11 years ago and do not want to do it again.”

Answer: If I were you, I’d be proactive by contacting each of those companies and explaining that you recently lost your job and that you request either (1) a forbearance, or (2) a reduction in the payment that they’ll accept (for example, maybe you can still afford to pay 25% of your normal payment).

Given the economy and the fact that so many creditors are having trouble collecting, I would expect that they’ll be receptive to your offer. The last thing they want is to force you into bankruptcy by suing for breach of contract. The exception may be with regard to your RV. Even with your request, the RV creditor may repo it immediately in order to protect its value so it can be auctioned off for as high a price as possible. It just depends on what the creditor feels is in its best interests.

If your request is ignored or denied, and your creditors begin legal proceedings against you before you can get a new job and make your payments, then you may have no choice but to file for bankruptcy again. But that is in the future, and should be put on the backburner for now.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law