How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask FiveStarLaw Your Own Question

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36711
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
FiveStarLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question is difficult...My permanent residency is florida...

Customer Question

This question is difficult...My permanent residency is florida...I have moved back to georgia but have not changed my residency. My home in florida is in foreclosure and due to financial losses I can no longer afford to keep the house regardless of lowered payments or anything..I just owe to much money and have lost all the equity in it and my other investments in property in florida. I have also lost most of my stock market investments. I only have about 40,000.00 left. The home I have moved back to in georgia I can afford the payments with some modification and am looking for employment but it is difficult because I am sixty years old and the job market is terrible. Now my major question..I need to file bankrupsy because of credit card debt and car loan..the total car is about 18,000.00 financed at not interest..the credit card debt is about 90 thousand what do I do...file in georgia..file in florida and how do I keep my georgia home..I owe about what is owed with almost no equity.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 7 years ago.
When did you move back to Georgia?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think it was sometime in may..papers were served in june..I moved back because we had been in florida for six years and back and forth and this has been my home for almost twenty years and it is were my family lives.
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

You appear eligible to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Georgia. However, since you have lived in Georgia as a resident for less than 2 years, you would file using the Florida exemptions.

You typically would be able to keep the Georgia home since there is no equity provided you continue to pay the mortgage. Typically the credit card debt would be discharged in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Florida bankruptcy exemptions are as follows:

1. Homestead. Property cannot exceed ½ acre in municipality or 160 contiguous acres elsewhere - note this is not available to you as you live in Georgia;
2. Annuity contract proceeds;
3. Disability or illness benefits;
4. Life insurance cash surrender value;
5. Alimony, child support needed for support
6. Damages to employees for injuries in hazardous occupations
7. Pre-need funeral contract deposits
8. Pensions
9. Any personal property to $1,000 (the exemption is increased to $4,000 for those debtors not claiming or benefiting from a homestead exemption. )
10. Health aids
11. Motor vehicle to $1000
12. Most Public benefits
13. $500 in wages per week either unpaid or paid and deposited into bank account for up to 6 months

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WHAT do I do about the 30k or so I have in a hedge fund..I have no retirement and this is the only monies I have....also I do have an investment that did pay dividends but does not husband starts social security in december. What is personnel property..china glassware, jewerely, furniture...what is included and if I get a job what is the situation..thankyou can I move my homestead exemption to georgia..

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.