Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

how can i stop bill collecter and income tax garnishing

Customer Question

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available that will stop the garnishment. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13.

There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your credit card debt and other unsecured debt. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, if your mortgage is behind, you cannot use the Chapter 7 to reinstate your mortgage.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy could reinstate a mortage that is in default. However, it may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt.

There are very fact sensitive rules pertaining to the dischargability of taxes in either a 7 or 13. You will need to review your particular tax situation with local counsel.

Legal Aid can assist you. I suggest that you give them a try.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE