TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My husband received a citation (law suit) for a charged off

My husband received a citation (law suit) for a charged off credit card debt. He also has several other charge offs that we have not received citations on. If he files for bankruptcy, how will this affect my credit? I have had nothing but excellent credit.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “My husband received a citation (law suit) for a charged off credit card debt. He also has several other charge offs that we have not received citations on. If he files for bankruptcy, how will this affect my credit? I have had nothing but excellent credit.”

Answer: Fortunately, your husband’s bankruptcy won’t directly impact your credit, as each of you have a separate credit record. Of course, the bankruptcy could indirectly affect you to the extent that any joint accounts, such as credit cards, could suddenly have higher interest rates. But that won’t cause your credit score to lower.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and is not specific legal advice.