socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

is old creditcard debt and its collection limited within the

Customer Question

is old creditcard debt and its collection limited within the statue of limitation and its 3 year window
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

A suit on a credit card default (contract based upon a written instrument) is limited to four years under Texas law. However, the date upon whch the statute begins to run would be the date when it would be reasonable for the creditor to believe that the debtor had no intent to pay. This could be six months after the last debt was incurred on the account.

Collection of a money judgment based on a suit for a credit card default, once obtained, can extend to 10 years.

If you filed for bankruptcy, then the debt should have been discharged and you would no longer be obligated to pay -- except per any order of the bankruptcy court made at the time of discharge.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.