How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 10625
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Husband and I live in NY, have approx. 50k in debt with

Resolved Question:

Hi, Husband and I live in NY, have approx. 50k in debt with credit cards and 14k loans. July 2008 we got a new 2008 ford focus, with a 435 month loan. Since hubbys job up and moved to mexico dec. 2006, took him 1 year to find another job. our income is too small for our outpay in bills, we just cant do it anymore. I am retired disability with $700 month income, he takes home $1300 month. we live in a paid for house, no rent or mortgage in our names. no land/property only our vehicles. do we have to be way behind in our bills to file chapter 8? december is our 1st month we will miss some of the credit cards due. Thanks so much. we are both in our 40's., 3 yrs. married. we have no savings and little in the checking, no 401k. we want to keep the new car and pay it off as per our loan agreement and our worried of losing the car. should we file chapter 7/8? dont know chapter laws. this economy has crushed us.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “do we have to be way behind in our bills to file chapter 8?”

Answer: There are two possible Chapters under which you’d file for bankruptcy protection: Chapter 7 or Chapter 13. In a Chapter 7 your assets would be liquidated (i.e. sold) and the proceeds would be used to repay your unsecured creditors. In a Chapter 13, you can keep your assets, but you must make monthly payments into a “plan” for 3 to 5 years, and the bankruptcy trustee will disburse those funds to the unsecured creditors.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if you filed under Chapter 7, your house would be sold and the proceeds would go to the credit card companies. If you filed under Chapter 13, then you may be able to keep the house if you can afford to make the monthly payments to the plan. The amount you’d have to pay per month partially depends on the value of your assets because after the plan is completed, each creditor must at least have gotten the same amount it would have gotten had your assets (such as your house) been immediately sold. Therefore, if your house is worth quite a bit you may not be able to afford the monthly payments required to keep it. My suggestion is that you consult with a local bankruptcy attorney who can review your financial picture in its entirety and then advise you as to the best route to take.

In answer to your specific question quoted above, you do not have to be behind in your bills to file for bankruptcy, and therefore, you can file immediately if that makes the most sense for you.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!


DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
I just realized that I did not mention your car.

It is possible to keep the car if you "reaffirm" the debt. Basically, you would sign a document agreeing that the car loan will not be included in the bankruptcy. You will then continue to owe the debt just as before the bankruptcy. To be honest, however, I doubt doing so will be in your best interest since the monthly payments will reduce your ability to pay the amount necessary to fund the plan. In layman's terms, it doesn't sound like you can really afford the new car. If that is the case, now is the time to get rid of it since the last thing you'd want is a situation where the car has caused you to be in financial distress again. It's generally best to take care of all debts at once.

Hope I helped!
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 10625
Experience: JD, MBA
TJ, Esq. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi, ok i think i didnt make myself too clear on this, we do not own a home or any property. we live in a house that is not ours. thanks for your help.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Ohhhhhhhh, that changes everything. I thought you owned the house. Now your initial post makes more sense (I did see where you wrote that you had no land, but thought you meant that you had no additional land).

Since you don't need to protect a house, then you may be best off filing for Chapter 7 and get the debts discharged right away without paying into a plan. You can then reaffirm your car loan and continue paying as usual despite the bankruptcy. Chapter 7 bankruptcies are much less complicated than Chapter 13s, but I still suggest you speak to a local attorney to help you prepare your documents to file.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, wow, that makes me feel better. I was so upset that the one good car we have for husband to get back/forth to work, would be lost. Thanks for your help. I shall talk to a local bankruptcy lawyer in the coming week. As ever, Sandra
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Glad I was of help! I really wish you luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much, and Happy Holidays to you and yours. I left you positive feedback as i hope you shall do for me. Thanks again.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Happy Holidays to you and your family as well. I will certainly leave you positive feedback. Thanks for using Just Answer. :)

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.