Andrea Ray
Andrea Ray, Attorney
Experience:  Over 5 years experience in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law, Chapters 7 13 and 11

Can my law school refuse to release my transcript based upon

Can my law school refuse to release my transcript based upon an outstanding 5,000 bill? I was disbarred 3 years ago for a DWI and am applying for a teaching fellowship. I nned the transcript for the application and I really don't have the money to pay. I'm a single mom with 4 kids just making it.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Andrea Ray replied 7 years ago.
This is a pretty standard policy at all major colleges and universities. They have the right to refuse you services until you pay your obligations.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Being that the overall tuition was 80,000, so they got a great percentage of their money and the transcript is so fundamental, isn't that a bit overreaching. I'm not willfully avoiding it. I made less than poverty level last year.

It may be overreaching, rude, mean and cruddy, but as an attorney I am sure you know that the legal thing isn't always the fair and nice thing.