TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My first wife had many charge cardsand signed my name to some.There

My first wife had many charge cardsand signed my name to some.There was a judgement entered against me in 1997 for 7000.00 dollars,now today I get a writ of execution, the amount now is 16,500.00 dollars, where they are going to levy my house. Is there any thing I can do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “My first wife had many charge cardsand signed my name to some.There was a judgement entered against me in 1997 for 7000.00 dollars,now today I get a writ of execution, the amount now is 16,500.00 dollars, where they are going to levy my house. Is there any thing I can do?”

Answer: Unfortunately, the statute of limitations in Maryland to execute on a judgment is 12 years, which is probably why you’re getting the notice now after 11 years. As you probably know, a judgment automatically acts as a lien on a judgment debtor’s real estate if the judgment is filed in the same county where the real estate is located. If the judgment creditor wants to pay the costs associated with foreclosing on your house, then there is little you can do. Even if you file for bankruptcy, your house can still be used to repay your debts since Maryland doesn’t have a homestead exemption.

I wish I could offer you a way to get around this, but it sounds like you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. Your best course of action will be to contact the judgment creditor and attempt to settle or attempt to set up a payment plan. The judgment creditor may be willing to work with you in order to avoid paying the legal fees to foreclose.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

Although my answer was unfavorable, please understand that my goal was to provide you with honest information. With that in mind, I hope that you found my answer useful. If so, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I forgot to mentionthat I am not the only owner of this house, my mother put my name on it when my father passed away in 2003. My sister is also listed on the deed, does this make a difference. What will happen will they sell this house at auction for 16,500.