Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I got married and my wife filed bankruptcy less then 8 yrs

I got married and my wife filed bankruptcy less then 8 yrs ago. If I file for bankruptcy can I include her bills with mine
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

You can include your wife's debt along with yours in a bankruptcy. However, only your personal liability on the debt will be discharged. Your wife will remain liable for her debt.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Why would I include her debts if it will not fix it. Her bankruptcy was in Aug. 2001. Will she have to wait till Aug. 2009. Then file seperately?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

You would include her debts if you could possibly have any liability for them For example, you may have co-signed or been an authorized user.

A person can file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy eight years after the discharge of the prior bankruptcy.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you,
Customer/span>