Andrea Ray
Andrea Ray, Attorney
Experience:  Over 5 years experience in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law, Chapters 7 13 and 11

Do I have to be behind on credit card payments to file for

Do I have to be behind on credit card payments to file for bankruptcy? My husband lost his job and our family of five had to live on credit cards for six months which put us in debt around $30,000. He now has a new job but is making $3500 a month less than he use to. I am now making minimum credit card payments with other credit card checks and buying groceries on other cards. I think we need to file for bankruptcy but are afraid to stop making payments in fear that the creditors will call my husband's new job which is what we want to avoid in fear of him getting fired. Is it required that you be behing a certain # XXXXX days in order to file bankruptcy? Cristine
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Andrea Ray replied 7 years ago.
You do not have to be behind in order to file for bankruptcy. However you should know that these creditors could ask the court to have these debts held nondischargeable, if they think that you ran up these bills with no intention of repaying them, or if you purchased any big ticket/luxury items. It is unlikely that this would happen, but be sure to let your attorney know that you have been borrowing from one credit account to pay others.