TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I reside in USA & I work and am paid in Canada, IN CANADIAN

I reside in USA & I work and am paid in Canada, IN CANADIAN $. Can I elect to file bankruptcy in Canada, rather than USA?, note most of my real estate is in USA , AND DOES IT GIVE ME RELIEF IN USA AS WELL AS CANADA?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “I reside in USA & I work and am paid in Canada, IN CANADIAN $. Can I elect to file bankruptcy in Canada, rather than USA?, note most of my real estate is in USA , AND DOES IT GIVE ME RELIEF IN USA AS WELL AS CANADA?”

Answer: Unfortunately, the answer is no. In order to be relieved of your debts in the US, you will need to file for bankruptcy under federal law in the US. This is especially true since your assets are in the US (as they can be seized by your creditors after a judgment in the US).

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

Although my answer was unfavorable, please understand that my goal was to provide you with honest information, as that will help you most. With that in mind, I hope that you found my answer useful. If so, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.