Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.

I am divorced and have very poor credit at this point. I do

Customer Question

I am divorced and have very poor credit at this point. I do not have debt collectors coming after me for anything at all, I simply have charged off debts sitting on my credit report that prevent me from getting approved for ANY purchases. I cannot get a credit card anywhere and I can only rent a home. I work and earn a decent income but only have a checking account and just pay my rent and bills each month. Everything is paid by check/cash. Is bankruptcy something I should consider to remove the bad debt on my credit report so that I can move forward in the future?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Charlotte, North Carolina

Already Tried:
Nothing at all yet.
Expert:  Law Girl replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Ultimately, claiming bankruptcy will not help your credit report. Waiting a few years for the charged off debt to lose relevance on your credit report may be a better move than declaring bankruptcy which has the ability to negatively affect your credit for 7-10 years.

You may want to take a copy of your credit report to a bankruptcy attorney for further discussion on whether this is the best route to go. However, if your debt is charged of and they are not trying to collect or sue you for it, it may be old enough to where they really cannot take any further action on the debt. In which case, filing bankruptcy may not be your best move.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification. Otherwise, please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my efforts.

Good Luck!