Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.
635143

i have recieved a notice of garnishment and certtificate of

i have recieved a notice of garnishment and certtificate of service instituted against a company i dont actually work for for 6453.14 im barely paying my bills now what do you sugest i tryed to pay 200 per month but they said 450 was least they would take.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

monroe, Georgia

Already Tried:
garnishment letter recieved today
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you do not work for the company where they are trying to garnish your wages, you can contest the garnishment order in court be asserting that they are trying to garnish your wages from the wrong company.

It sounds like the company has taken a judgment against you, in which case, they have the ability to garnish your wages. However, pursuant to OCGA 18-4-20, the maximum part of the aggregate disposable earnings of an individual for any work week which is subject to garnishment may not exceed the lesser of twenty-five percent (25%) of your disposable earnings for that week, or the amount by which your disposable earnings for that week exceed thirty (30) times the federal minimum hourly wage. For earnings for a period other than a week, a multiple of the federal minimum hourly wage equivalent in effect shall be used.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification. Otherwise, please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my efforts.

Good Luck!