VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13

Does a Bankruptcy lawyer have to tell his clients when there

Does a Bankruptcy lawyer have to tell his clients when there is a reaffermation offer from a car company, or can they decide for you not to reaffim your debts.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

denver, Colorado
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.

A lawyer should tell you about everything involved in your case, and offer legal advice and counseling. If they disagreed with your decision to reaffirm a vehicle, they could tell you their thoughts, but they cannot make the ultimate decision for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you that is helpful but what can I do I the Lawyer did make that decision for me.
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.
You should let him know you disagree with the decision, and ask him to negotiate a reaffirmation, if he refuses you need to terminate him and hire another attorney. You could also contact the car lender directly and let them know you do want to reaffirm (if that is the case), that there was a mistake made at your law firm, and how can you get the reaffirmation going again. You will have to make sure your schedules reflect that you want to keep the car, and you are not surrendering it. Your attorney should be directed to make these changes for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the bankruptcy has already been discharged I did not find out about the offer until two months after the discharge is there anything I can do?
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry I do not know of anyway you can now go back and reaffirm. Have they picked up the car yet? If not you may be able to contact them and see if you can redeem the car. See if you can just keep making payments and keep the car. They do not want your car, so at this point I would deal directly with the lender.