VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13

My boyfriend and I are about to have a baby, and I would really

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I are about to have a baby, and I would really like to get his financial problems straightened out before she gets here. He owes the IRS a lot of money, like $15,000 from a couple years ago and he has a hospital bill thats about $2500. Hes been avoiding them for years and I really dont want to marry him with that kind of credit background. Should he file bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Du Quoin, Illinois

Already Tried:
Nothing, I can't do anything he has to, I would just like to know if he should just go ahead and file bankruptcy because neither one of us have that kind of money.
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, bankruptcy does not discharge all debt. One of the exception is IRS tax liens. Bankruptcy will not get rid of his IRS problem. The medical bills would be discharged, as most other debt. Student loans, child support, attorney's fees for family matters, IRS tax liens, wrongful death judgments are not.

If he has not tried to negotiate with the IRS on this lien, he may want to try that. Bankruptcy costs about 2000.00, you might do better and hire an attorney that specializes in IRS tax liens and see if you can get the amount reduced.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, I didn't even think about taxes not being included with bankruptcy. I appreciate the advice, wish you could help me more. But I just need to talk to someone about the IRS debt. Thanks, I'll still accept for your time.