socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

We were served garnishment papers on Saturday, November 1,

We were served garnishment papers on Saturday, November 1, 2008 for hospital debt that was sent to a collection agency (Commercial Adjustment Co.) in Astoria, Oregon. We are not disputing the validity of the debt; however, due to obligations to pay debts to the state of Oregon we cannot afford to be garnished the full 25% that the collection agency stated they will garnish. Is there any way to lower the percentage on the garnishment? What do we need to do to assess financial hardship to do this? Any help will be much appreciated!

There's no way to lower the garnishment amount. 25% is the maximum amount permitted by federal law, but there is no law in Oregon which permits a debtor to request a lower garnishment amount.

The only alternatives are: negotiation with the creditor, or bankruptcy, which will stay the garnishment and permit the bankruptcy court to create a payment plan.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.