Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

i work for a company that is going bankrupt under chapter 11,

i work for a company that is going bankrupt under chapter 11, the store i work at was told we were closing before they declared bankruptcy and were told we were gonna receive severence pay however 2 days before bankruptcy they changed their policy and said no one would recieve severence after that date if they were let go then the bankruptcy court sent me papers that i can fillout if the company owes me anything but at the bottom of the form it says you can be fined or impriosoned for fraudalant claims would putting down the severence be a fraudulant claim since they changed thier minds before the bankruptcy losing my job i really cant afford a lawyer and i dont understand all the legal mumbo jumbo
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

You can list the severance pay as money owed to you by the business. You can add that the debt is in dispute since you believe the money is owed to you.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE