Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

what type of career occupations does chapter 7 bankruptcy prevent

Customer Question

what type of career occupations does chapter 7 bankruptcy prevent a person from being employed in? can you give me examples? WOULD BK CAUSE SOMEONE WITH CH 7 ON RECORD TO BE DENIED SECURITY CLEARENCE? I'm very concerned about this because I have $70,000 unsecured debt and I'm considering filing, however, I will soon be getting my bachelor degree in Arabic, and I would like to work for the U.S military, would BK prevent me from obtaining such job? please address all of my concerns
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

It’s illegal for an employer not to hire or promote a person based upon a bankruptcy filing. However, companies often check credit when a job requires a security clearance. Typically a security clearance can be denied based upon bad credit. In your situation, a Chapter 7, would typically eliminate your debt and possibly improve your credit.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE