TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

If one has filed and had discharged a Chapter 13 bankruptcy

If one has filed and had discharged a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and did not reaffirm their home mortgage, would that person be subject to a deficiency judgement in the event the home was foreclosed upon?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “If one has filed and had discharged a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and did not reaffirm their home mortgage, would that person be subject to a deficiency judgement in the event the home was foreclosed upon?”

Answer: As long as the mortgage was included in the bankruptcy, then you would not be responsible for a deficiency judgment. If the mortgage was not included in the bankruptcy, then you would be required to pay the deficiency balance because the lender would have otherwise gotten proceeds from the plan. If it didn’t get proceeds from the plan, then it was prejudiced, and the debt would not be discharged.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and is not specific legal advice.