Andrea Ray
Andrea Ray, Attorney
Experience:  Over 5 years experience in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law, Chapters 7 13 and 11

I am a single mother of two who lost one of my part time jobs

I am a single mother of two who lost one of my part time jobs due to Hurricane Ike ( half of my total house income) My husband went to jail in July 2002 for felony drug possession, he was released in Feb 2004. He has abandoned me with the two boys and has not provided help financially. I need to file bankruptcy but I was told by an attorney I have to come up with two thousand dollars first. I am trying to find work and my place of business in Galveston won't be able to re-open for another 6 months. I am 2 months behind in my house mortgage ( which is in my estranged husband's name) . My elderly parents in Corpus Chrisit are not able to help me fianacially. When my husband first went to jail I tried to get free legal help for a divorce but I did not qualify because he was in jail. Apparently there has been an abuse of the free legal help, the lawyers get these ladies a divorce and then when the guy gets out they let him back in the home. So I used to make enough to scrape by but not now
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Andrea Ray replied 8 years ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do I get helpt to file for bankruptcy?
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will likely have to pay the whole amount up front to a bankruptcy attorney in order to file. There are "bankruptcy petition preparers" that charge less, but they do not represent you in court (you file your own petition representing yourself and appear by yourself at your meeting of creditors) and it can cause more problems than it prevents.