Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

in florida, are the proceeds of a refinance of a homestead

in florida, are the proceeds of a refinance of a homestead protected under the homestead exemption. We refinanced and have 10,000 cash, can we keep that in ch 7 bankruptcy perhaps if we put the money back into the home?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

There is no case law that I have found exactly on point since the new bankruptcy laws took effect. However, you may have a strong argument in your favor.

In Florida, when a debtor voluntarily sells a homestead property, the proceeds of the property are protected as homestead providing that the debtor intends to reinvest in a new homestead. Following this line of thinking, you appear to have a strong argument that the money you received from the refinance is still exempt and therefor you can put the money back into the home.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE