johngibson15219, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted to Pennsylvania Bar 1980. I'm familiar with the new law.

I am very badly in debt and have poor credit. I am married

I am very badly in debt and have poor credit. I am married but my husband and I have everything separate. Nothing is in both our names. All my bills are in my name. We have a house but the house is in my husbands name. Is it possible for me to file bankruptcy separately without involving him or without him even knowing?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  johngibson15219 replied 8 years ago.
Debt consolidation and debt settlement are usually not the best way to go with credit problems. Bankruptcy is a clearer solution. Whether or not this is your best solution depends upon your individual situation. Generally one spouse can file a Bankruptcy Petition but it would be difficult to imagine a situation where the other spouse would not be aware of it. You should talk to an attorney in your area that practices bankruptcy law. Generally, attorneys are willing to discuss bankruptcy matters with you at no charge or at a minimal charge.