JP, Attorney
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.

I have signed a contract with a company to build a pool. I

I have signed a contract with a company to build a pool. I gave them a $1000.00 deposit, and they were to apply for permit's. They have filed chapter 11 last week. Is the contract still binding. At this point I don't want them to build my pool, due to warranty issues, and lack of performance. The phone is disconnected, and I can't get in touch with them.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 8 years ago.

You should contact the bankruptcy court clerk. They can assist you with researching the company in the bankruptcy case system to obtain a docket report for their bankruptcy case filing. The docket report will contain their attorneys contact information as well as a plan explaining what they intend to do with their contracts, their assets and their debts, if the plan has been filed. Also, if the company was incorporated, then they should have registered agent contact information with your Secretary of State office.

Your contract will be in effect until such time as it is rejected by the company (the "debtor") in the bankruptcy case. Once you obtain contact information from the bankruptcy case, you can contact the attorneys and they can tell you the debtor's intentions regarding your particular contract.

I hope you found this information helpful.

Best Regards.