VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy following a bitter divorce in

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy following a bitter divorce in 08/1999; it was discharged 12/1999. My credit report from one agency lists the file date, the other lists the discharge date. When should the delinquency be removed from my credit report and how will my FICO be adjusted? My credit is excellent except for the bankruptcy, current FICO is 721.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 8 years ago.

It is a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting act to include a bankruptcy on a consumer's credit report ten years from the date of discharge.

Section 605: Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports

(a) Information excluded from consumer reports. Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information:

(1) Cases under title 11(Unitd States Code) or under the Bankruptcy Act that, from the date of entry of the order for relief or the date of adjudication, as the case may be, antedate the report by more than 10 years.