JP, Attorney
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.

i didnt pay rent for september so I could move my landlords

Customer Question

i didnt pay rent for september so I could move my landlords are mean. I was served an eviction notice on sept.28 the sameday I moved out. I still owe the rent and some very minor landlord has hired an attorney. i have filled my answer with the court I am waiting on my court date. Can I include this debt in my bankruptsy I am in the procees of filling
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 8 years ago.

Yes. Any debts you incur prior to filing the bankruptcy case can be included in the bankruptcy. Furthermore, if you file the case before you are actually evicted, you could temporarily stop the eviction which would give you more time to find a new place and move.

If the case is filed prior to the eviction, then you would simply have to provide the landlord's attorneys notice of the bankruptcy (case number XXXXX date of filing) to temporarily stop the eviction.

I hope you found this information helpful.

Best Regards.