How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask VanDLaw Your Own Question
VanDLaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 833
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
VanDLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have no money, just social security...IRS says i owe 20,000+

Customer Question

i have no money, just social security...IRS says i owe 20,000+ for 2004...can i file bankruptcy and get this off of me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 8 years ago.

Most bankruptcy attorneys will tell you that IRS back taxes are not dischargeable in bankruptcy, but that is not always true. Your tax issue is more than three years old, and depending on the tax issue, they very well may be discharged. You need to speak with a bankruptcy attorney and make sure they know you have an IRS issue.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions