How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i own a condominium in Florida which i owe more than its worth

Resolved Question:

i own a condominium in Florida which i owe more than it's worth and am considering foreclosure. i own my car outright. if i file for forecloure can they take my car or any of my other assets? Please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.


Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

If your condo is sold in a foreclosure sale, a deficiency judgment can be entered against you in Florida. The judgment could be used to execute on your assets to collect the debt.

One way to stop a foreclosure proceeding is called a "deed in lieu of foreclosure".

This procedure allows you to transfer your property voluntarily to your lender or Mortgage Company and your debt or deficiency is often forgiven. This will not save your home, but it will help you with your chances of getting another mortgage loan in the future and it will help you avoid the lengthy legal process of foreclosure. Although it is a negative strike on your credit rating, it is less harmful than a mortgage foreclosure.

With a deed in lieu of foreclosure a borrower whose mortgage is in default voluntarily transfers title to the mortgaged property to the lender rather than forcing the lender to engage in a long and costly foreclosure action. The lender must consent to the transfer.

If a deed in lieu of foreclosure is the route you decide to take, I suggest that you write to the lender or lender's attorney by certified mail, RRR and request this process.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!


Ellen and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you