VanDLaw
VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13
10801190

Im trying to clear up debt from a divorce ive managed to

I'm trying to clear up debt from a divorce i've managed to settle 8 accounts with only 3 remaining., however one company i can't get any help trying to locate who i'm suppose to pay. I have less then 7,000 in debt .Should I try file bankruptcy ??? any advice
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

You should pull your credit report from all three credit bureaus. If there is a debt being reported by them there should be an address and sometimes a phone number for the creditor that is reporting. If you filed bankruptcy this is the address that would be put on your schedule if you didn't have anything else to use to notify the creditor that you are filing bankruptcy.

If the debt was assigned to a collection agency it will also be noted on the credit report.

You can file bankruptcy and the debt would be most likely be discharged, but there are many factors to consider before you do that. You must meet a means test for Chapter 7, and have a steady income for Chapter 13 repayment plan along with others.

If you can locate them you may be able to settle the debts without having to file.