TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Hi I am currently filing chapter 13 bankruptcy and have a car

Customer Question

Hi I am currently filing chapter 13 bankruptcy and have a car lease which is in my mom's and my name. She is the main account holder. My lawyer said that I did not have to include this but somehow they did anyway. I only have 5 months left on it and since my mom is the main account holder, she was going to pay this. What can I do about this? Will this affect my mom's credit?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

No, the bankruptcy won’t affect your mom’s credit. All it means is that you personally will no longer owe the debt after you are discharged. Your mom will still owe the debt as before. Of course, the lease will be paid off long before you are discharged anyway. Tell your mom that she can rest easy.

If the information that I provided was helpful, please remember to ACCEPT my post as that is the only way I will receive credit and compensation for my answer. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be sufficiently addressed in this setting. Accordingly, my post is intended as general information only, and should neither be construed as specific legal advice, nor as an adequate substitute for the retention of legal counsel.