TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I have a judgement for $1695 in 1999. now i was ordered to

I have a judgement for $1695 in 1999. now i was ordered to go to court for a hearing. i contacted the lawyer and i had to fill out financial form. state of hawaii, 10% annually so now the debt is over $4000 and i made the offer to pay $100/mo and therefore; the interest of 10% continues till the debt is paid. if i can make a lum sum payment that he could adjust off some of the interest. do i have to disclose my employment info? i have bad credits. can this lawyer use my employement info to go after other credit card debts. i have lots of credit card debts but this is the only judgement in 1999. statue of limitation in hawaii is 6 years. does this mean no lien can be put on those previously credit cards debts once they go off the credit report. lum sum versus monthly payment to get more time for other credit cards to be off the credit report. some of the cc debts will be off by end of this year and a few others by 2010. can he use my work info to go after my other debts. what can i do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

Unfortunately, you will have to disclose your financial information to both the court and to the judgment creditor’s attorney. The reason you need to do that is so the attorney can attempt to satisfy the judgment with the assets that he learns about. However, if your other debts are beyond the statute of limitations, then neither this particular attorney, nor any other attorney can successfully sue you for a judgment if you invoke the statute of limitations as your defense. In other words, a creditor can sue you and win a judgment against you for an old debt unless you specifically use the statute of limitations as your defense.

If the information that I provided was helpful, please remember to ACCEPT my post as that is the only way I will receive credit and compensation for my answer. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be sufficiently addressed in this setting. Accordingly, my post is intended as general information only, and should neither be construed as specific legal advice, nor as an adequate substitute for the retention of legal counsel.