JP
JP, Attorney
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.
11699753

if ur credit card company sue u and u already moved out form

Customer Question

if ur credit card company sue u and u already moved out form that state ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 8 years ago.

You should file a Motion to Transfer Venue in the case so that the matter can be litigated in the State where you currently reside. This should be done before you file an answer in the case and can actually be filed without an attorney. However, if you are going to file the Motion to transfer without actually hiring an attorney, I would suggest that you contact a Volunteer Lawyers association or legal clinic in your area to assist with the Motion to Transfer. If that fails, you can always stop by a local law library and the librarians there will be able to assist with locating a sample form which can be used.

Once this matter is transferred to the State where you currently live, I would suggest being an active participant in the litigation and make sure that the creditor has filed the lawsuit within the Statue of Limitations. This is a question that you would need to ask a volunteer lawyer or legal clinic aid in your area. If the case was filed after the statute of limitations expired then they will not be able to proceed with the litigation.

But again, have the lawsuit moved to your current State and be an active participant in the process.

I hope you found this information helpful.

Best Regards