How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JP Your Own Question

JP, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 109
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a bankruptcy trustee come after my assets for my exhusbands

Customer Question

Can a bankruptcy trustee come after my assets for my exhusbands bankruptcy? I was divorced at the time he filed but the decree was not signed until after.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 6 years ago.

It is possible for the bankruptcy trustee to come after assets that were in your ex-husbands name or belonged to your ex-husband when the bankruptcy case was filed.


When a bankruptcy case is filed all of the assets become property of the bankruptcy estate and must be handled or transferred through the bankruptcy or with the permission of the trustee and/or bankruptcy court.


It appears that the bankruptcy trustee is taking the position that because the divorce decree was not signed until after the bankruptcy case was filed, that the property belonged to your husband at the time of filing and as a result became a part of the bankrutpcy estate. If you want to dispute the trustee's position, you will have to do so in the bankruptcy court or contact the bankruptcy trustee to inform him of the situation. The trustee may be willing to leave the assets alone after he hears your side of the story without the need to litigate the matter in bankruptcy court, but you should act quickly. Bankruptcy is federal court and a federal court order will take precedence over any state court divorce order if the bankruptcy judge feels that the property belonged to your ex-husband on the date the bankruptcy case was filed.


You should contact the trustee immediately and attempt to resolve the matter without the need for litigation, because that will save you both time and money.


I hope you found this information helpful.


Best Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there any case law out there protecting me of this?

I have asked the trustee for a statute or anything that states that i am liable for his debt.

i have dug and dug and can't find anything. The feds just blow me off.

Expert:  JP replied 6 years ago.



Regarding the Debt issue raised in your reply: Although the property may have been divided by court order during the divorce proceedings and some items were given to each of you. If you signed for any of the items or appear on any of the contracts, then you may be held contractually liable for the debts, even if your husband was held responsible for them in the divorce decree. Your contractual obligations remain, but you will have the ability to take your huusband to court to repay you for any debt that he was ordered to pay in the divorce proceedings that was not discharged in his bankruptcy case. If your ex-husband's debt is discharged in a bankruptcy case and you have a contractual obligation for the debt (you signed for it) you are still responsible for that debt. Unfortunately, I don't have any case law for you in your State, because I do not practice law in your State, but you may be able to get research assistance at the local law library in your area if you do not wan to retain an attorney.


However, as for the property issue, that was raised in your original question, you can start with Bankruptcy Code Section 541 (11 USC Section 541) which deals with property of the estate. This section clearly defines what property becomes property of the bankruptcy estate and otherwise a subject of the bankruptcy case.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  JP replied 6 years ago.

You're very welcome.


If you decide to get an attorney to help you with this matter, I would suggest hiring a bankruptcy attorney or at least an attorney familiar with bankruptcy concepts and licensed to practice in the federal district/bankruptcy court. (not every attorney is federally licensed.)

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • FiveStarLaw


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
< Last | Next >
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • Phillips Esq.'s Avatar

    Phillips Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    35 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions